The Sports Therapy Clinic
Pregnancy Massage at Bodylogics
Pregnancy is an amazing and sometimes stressful time for mum’s to be. During pregnancy the body goes through some unbelievable changes to help accommodate and nurture the growing Fetus. Unfortunately, some of these changes come with side effects for the mum-to- be! Pregnancy massage offers a safe and natural way to alleviate some of these symptoms and helps the pregnancy be as stress free and comfortable as possible. After all if mum is happy, baby will be too!
Massage may help ease some of the following common pregnancy symptoms:
- Lower back ache
- Oedema (fluid retention)
- Sacroiliac and pelvis pain
- Shoulder and neck pain
- Problems sleeping
- Stress and anxiety
- Cramps and other aches/pains
Benefits of pregnancy massage:
- Massage increases flexibility and reduces tension in muscles so they are better at taking the increased weight and changes in weight distribution.
- Releases endorphins into the blood stream, which are nature’s pain killers.
- Increases blood flow which allows more oxygen and nutrients to be transported to mother and baby.
- Helps lymphatic flow and drainage which can reduce swollen legs and improves the immune system.
- Relaxes and reduces stress which helps prepare for a calmer labour and birth.
- Reduced stress levels also encourage better sleep.
What to expect from a treatment:
Pregnancy massage is different to our sports massage treatments in various ways. Firstly, it’s lighter than sports massage. This is because blood pressure tends to be slightly increased during pregnancy. Secondly, it is not comfortable for mum (or baby!) for mum to lie on her front so most treatments will be carried out in the side lying position. It may still be possible during the 2nd trimester to lie on your back but after about week 22 the full treatment will be carried out in side lying or seated. We would recommend (at least) monthly treatments during pregnancy to get the full benefits.
Contact us on 020 8368 9220 or for more information and for a free consultation as to whether this method would be suited to your needs. Alternatively, fill out our enquiry form here and a member of the team will contact you shortly.